There are three ways of getting around in Dubai: Taxi, Metro/Tram and Car. Being that the metro doesn't cover all of Dubai you will need to have your own car or accept the occasional taxi drive to get around. 

Depending where your driver's license has been issued you should consider getting an international driving permit for the settlement period in Dubai. Once you have your residence visa, you will need to apply for a UAE driver's license. If you are under the age of 21 your license will be valid for 1 year. If you are above 21 years your license will be valid for 2 years.

You can apply for the driver's license at any RTA offices in Dubai 

Resident's from 32 countries can automatically convert their existing license to a UAE license. The list of countries that this includes can be found on the RTA website.

Required documents:

  • Passport copy and original

  • Emirates ID/Residence visa copy

  • Original driver's licence and copy

  • Legalized translation of the license if not in English or Arabic

  • Passport photos

  • Electronic eye test

Issuing the license along with the different admin costs adds up to approx. 800 AED.

How can we help? We have a team of qualified people in our network ready to guide you in everything from how to relocate your pet to set up your business in Dubai. Feel free to reach out and we will happily connect you:

Your contact information will be saved and (maybe) used for later purposes. We will not be sharing your information with anyone outside H2L. In case you do not want us to save your information, please let us know when contacting us.